Wednesday 10 December 2014

Picks from this year

Surrounded by glittering lights and nostalgia-inducing songs; wrapped up in knitwear only fit for an elderly man; and clutching a latte flavoured with gingerbread syrup, one can't help but feel festive. If you ignore the crammed shops, hyper children and rapidly dwindling bank accounts of course.

The run up to Christmas is my favourite time of year. And no matter what I do, I can't help but look back at the past year or two, and look forward to the year ahead (reluctantly at times- this sort of reflection normally leads to several thousand new years resolutions regarding life long goals and ambitions. All ridiculous. All eye wateringly unachievable in my delusional time frames).

Being a book dork, it also makes me think about the many a-hundred books I've devoured this year. The nine in the picture will be given their own mini posts over the next few weeks. And one or two, like Donna Tartt's masterpiece The Secret History, will be gushed over in more depth.

When staring at the bookshelves in my Reading Room (more on that at some point too!) in order to try and pluck out these nine, I have already decided on one of my New Years Resolutions. To revisit my love of the classics. I have read very few this year I'm ashamed to say, and this needs to be addressed.

So, for now, please read The Secret History. And I'll get back to you about the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow