Sunday 27 December 2015

a little light reading...

So seeing as I am currently confined to the sofa after a few beautifully festive days of eating and drinking myself into a coma, I thought I'd catch up on a little blogging. The year is nearly at a close and all around people are feeling contemplative, doing a little soul searching by reflecting on the year just gone. It only felt right to join them. In a book-y sort of way.

2015 has been one of big changes for me. One of the biggest was my decision to go part time in my teaching job, finally listening to my body and giving my mental health a little break- some much needed room to breathe. By doing so, I was able to apply for and start an MA in Creative Writing, one specifically geared towards getting a novel written and (hopefully) published. This is honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do it purely because I want to and being able to have that time to pursue something entirely selfish has made everything so much more beautiful and bearable for me. I'm doing something for me. Just because I want to. My life isn't entirely consumed now by the torturous workload that teaching can generate. I feel more like a whole person, and I am beginning to actually enjoy teaching now- something I didn't think I'd ever be able to say.

With all this in mind, I thought I'd share the books from my set reading list of my first module. We read a lot. Two texts a week between September and December to be precise. Each week was focused on a different aspect of the 'writer's craft'- we read these books to see how the authors pulled things off, whether that be a genre or a character. We then did a lot of writing, trying to learn from, be inspired by, or mimic, to a point, what we had read.

I hated many of these books. I loved a handful. But they were all helpful. And all are relatively recent publications. So have a little look below, read a couple and decide for yourself.



1) The Seed Collectors by Scarlett Thomas
 Parts I liked. Mystical elements, family secrets. The character of Bryony (because she is fabulous to hate). Parts I didn't. Some sections felt a little trashy. Worth a read. 


2) Satin Island by Tom McCarthy
Boring as hell. Clever book, in theory. Hailed as a great text- hence the Man Booker nomination. I can see what McCarthy is doing. Didn't make it any easier to read. 


3) Killing Monica by Candace Bushnell
Chick lit trash. Hated it. Hated her. Hated everyone who would buy this book. Hated myself for being hooked enough to read to the end. Dear God. By the author who wrote the Sex and the City novels. I like the TV show. I've seen every episode. But TV is where vacuous characters and ridiculous narratives like this should remain.


4) Dexter is Dead by Jeff Lindsay
As genre fiction goes, this was better than Monica. I have been told the TV show Dexter is great. But I'm not convinced by the book. Maybe others in his series were better? This book is the last of seven by Lindsay and it reads like a thriller film. An awful, cliched one. 


5) Seize the Day by Saul Bellow
Call me a literature snob but this was more like it. The type of novel that has something to say and says it well. 


6) Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
Beautifully written. Stunning and disturbing. Loved it. One of my favourites on the course. 


7) On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
I'd read this twice before and taught extracts of it to my year 13s. Most readers have an opinion on McEwan. Apparently he's very marmite. I've only read three of his books (Atonement, Enduring Love and this) but I've enjoyed all of them, for various reasons. This one is poignant and frustrating (but it is meant to be so). A great read. 


8) Summertime by J.M. Coetzee
A really interesting text. It is the third in a series of 'fictionalised memoirs' and details the life of a John Coetzee from five people that knew him. Carefully crafted. Made me want to read up on the author and read his previous works. 


9)The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
A darkly humorous perspective of India's underclass. It won the Man Booker prize in 2008 which does surprise me a little. It almost reads like a YA novel at times. The is lovely. The story is disturbing at times and definitely thought provoking. I would recommend. 


10) The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
I didn't think I'd like this novel but I absolutely loved it. Full of history, superstition, details of a family across generations and science fiction references, it is a unique novel. Immerses you in the culture of the characters and, although the vast quantity of Spanish makes it hard to read at times, it is necessary to the story. A friend on the course listened to the audio book and I'm tempted to read it again just so I can do the same. Heartbreaking and humbling.


11) Baptism by Max Kinnings
'Thriller' week. I love a good thriller. This played on my worst fears, fears of the moment like many thrillers do. Terrorism. Tube trains. Being trapped. Eurgh! It was definitely a 'page turner'. It gets a little far fetched at times but it is also truly terrifying in parts. The lecture this week was also given by the author which was a big plus. I even went on to read the second 'Ed Mallory' thriller (the blind hostage negotiator who the text centers around), a novel called Sacrifice which I have just finished today. I'd recommend both, but Baptism more so. 


12) Sleep Walkers by Tom Grieves
 Thoroughly intriguing premise. A great set of ideas but fails to deliver. It felt like the start of a series of books as the ending and explanations were unsatisfying. Wanted a little more. 


13) If Then by Matthew De Abaitua
I was dreading Sci-fi week. Just not my thing at all. I was pleasantly surprised by parts of this text though. Dystopian world. People are controlled through implants in their skulls by 'The Process'. But it is just all a bit odd. All a bit confusing. I just didn't really get this one. Maybe if Sci-fi is your thing, you may do. 


14) The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin
Again, just not my thing. Too many planets for my liking! But it is really well written and I did enjoy parts. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to finish this one though...

15) Face by Benjamin Zephania
Teaching KS3, I knew of Zephania before 'Children's Fiction' week but wasn't ever hooked. I thought this was a great book for 11/12 year olds. Deals with issues of identity and physical appearance. 


16) Refugee Boy by Benjamin Zephania
Now. I was having a bit of a stressful, emotional week but this book did reduced me to tears. It's a hugely important text for children to read, in my opinion, especially with everything going on in the world today. I've already recommended it a few times to the 14 years olds I teach. It's heart wrenching, touching and infuriating. 


17) Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka 
I was meant to read this on my undergrad course but the first line (depending on which translation you read, it declares that 'When Gregor Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed into a monstrous vermin') made me throw it across my room. No way was I reading a book about a man who turns into an insect! But I actually read it this time. It's obviously a classic. We now have the word 'Kafkaesque' (look it up). It's surreal, bizarre and disturbing. It is very much a text you 'study' but worth a read- even if it is just to be able to say you have when speaking to a bunch of literary snobs... 



 18) Vertigo by W.G Sebald
Very much in the same vein as Satin Island for me. Critics apparently love it. I can see what he's trying to do. But my god it's confusing and dull. 


19) American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
Horror week. I'd been waiting for this one! Most people have probably seen the film. The book is amazing. It's vile, disgusting, hilarious and so so well crafted. A definite must read. If you can stomach both graphic sex and graphic violence of  course... Proceed with caution.


20) Haunted by Chuck Palahnuik
The same author who wrote Fight Club. Very weird book. A lot of smaller short stories held together by one larger narrative (each short story is supposedly written by a character from the larger narrative). It's not exactly scary. More unsettling. Stomach turning at times. Just a bit bizarre. 


21) Funes el Memorioso by Jorge L Borges
A short fantasy story about the nature of memory and lost opportunity. Again, one you would be made to 'study'. Interesting concept. A bit meh. 


22) Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
A classic, of course. You've heard of it. The novel and the phrase 'catch 22'. You've probably used it. I'm surprised I haven't read the novel until now. We read it to focus on how the author uses time in the narrative. But there are so many more aspects to it. Annoying at times, but I enjoyed it as a whole. I'd recommend it. 


If you're still with me, well done! There's a whirlwind tour of the novels I've devoured in the latter half of 2015. Try a few.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow